HistoryIn 1808 Benjamin Overfield opened a tavern and inn in the small frontier village of Troy, Ohio on the banks of the Great Miami River. The tavern soon became the center of the town's social and civic life, and prospered until Overfield's death in 1831. The two-story Federal style square-hewn log building has survived as the oldest building in Troy. It is registered as an Ohio Historic Landmark.
In 1948 two civic-minded brothers, Edward and William Hobart, bought the building, restored it and gave it a new life as a historical museum.
CollectionThe museum is predominately furnished in first-quarter nineteenth century Ohio antiques. The collection includes textiles (clothing, coverlets and quilts), pewter, paintings, painted furniture, porcelain, glass and a rare collection of late 18th century medical books.
AnnexLocated across the street from the museum is the Museum Annex. It houses a gallery, classroom and library. In the library are displayed early nineteenth century documents, books and maps. The gallery offers a space for art exhibits, social functions, and related learning activities.
ToursTours are available during museum hours, Saturday and Sunday 1–4 pm, April through October, and by appointment at other times. To schedule a school, home-school, group, family, or individual visit, contact the Museum Director, Bob Patton at 937.335.4019 or 937.723.6202. Bob can also be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Overfield Tavern Museum, Inc. 2010 / Design: design@KrishnaKala.com